I started doing annual updates on MySpace…back when people still used MySpace. Then I used Notes on Facebook. Now I guess I can post this to my blog. I know there has to be at least one person out there whose year wouldn’t be complete without my ruminations. So here it is, you!
- 11/22/63 by Stephen King
- The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
- Every Day by David Levithan
- Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (technically, I’m still reading this one, but I’m almost done and it’s great!)
- Hazard Yet Forward by a bunch of great writers
For a complete list of books I read (there may be some missing, but I also didn’t read as many books as I wanted to), click here.
Favorite Poem (Not Published in 2012)
“Ulysses” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Best Movies I Watched in 2012
We didn’t watch a lot of movies in 2012. Best? Eh. Here are some that I remember, at least:
- 21 Jump Street
- The Grey
- The Dark Knight Rises
- The Hunger Games
- The Five Year Engagement* Probably my favorite, mostly because it’s the only one with a Motley Crue sweater in it
Songs I Listened to in 2012
- “Somebody That I Used To Know” by Gotye (but check out Walk Off the Earth’s cover!)
- “Love Bites (And So Do I)” by Halestorm
- “Little Talks” by Of Monsters and Men
- “Some Nights” and “We Are Young” by fun.
- “Hey Ho” by Lumineers
- “Shout at the Devil” by Motley Crue
- “Rich Girl” by Lake Street Dive
Good and Bad Moments of 2012
- Getting a kick in the earball from Wolfe, sometime in January
- Gettysburg for President’s Day with Natalie Ryan Wolfe Duvall, where we survived the ghost hunters
- My first ever 10k in April–bad moment, because I got some sort of stomach virus and couldn’t compete
- Seems like something happened in May…what was it…oh, Wolfe was born!
- Completing the requirements for my teaching certification in June. In my 2011 wrap-up, I had this to say: “I have nearly achieved the requirements to be a certified teacher. How will this change my life? Probably not at all.” Prescient as always.
- SHU reunion in June, which was also Wolfe’s first road trip!
- Watching the 2012 Olympics despite all the Facebook and news spoilers
- Lots of summer time cuddles with my son
- About a bajillion late night summer walks with my wife and my son
- Running my fastest half marathon ever, right after Dog Con!
- Training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu (although not as often as I would have liked)
- Running my first ever 10k in November and placing 3rd in my age group–I got a turkey-shaped medal
- Turkey Trot 5k where I finished in just over 21 minutes
- Thanksgiving trip with my wife and son
- Seeing Chun Lee (the cat) up and feeling his oats today, after nearly leaving us in November 2011
- Hearing Wolfe’s first words, seeing his first smile, watching him sit up for the first time, and a million other firsts…we still have his belly button stump somewhere!
- Writing almost every day (took some time off in early May) and having one of my most productive writing years in recent memory
- Plus many more that I’m sure I’m forgetting